Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Law of Calorie Balance

This is the first law governing weight loss but it is not gospel (more on that later). The law of Caloric Balance states that if a person consumes more calories than they expend they will gain weight. The opposite is also presumed, that if a person consumes less calories than they expend they will lose weight. Many diets and weight loss programs would have you believe this is all there is to it. Just eat less and you will get in shape. Why do they say this? Because in this world of instant gratification, people want one sentence solutions to complex problems. Let us examine for a moment why this law is not gospel.

According to the 'eat less than you expend theory', lets imagine a 200lb individual has a daily caloric requirement of 2500 calories per day to maintain that weight. If they were to eat only 2100 calories per day, the law states that they would lose weight. So they continue eating fast food, chocolates, candies, ice cream all to the sum of 2100 calories only. Hopefully common sense tells you they will not lose weight. The law of calorie balance is a guideline but it doesn't always work out on paper. What really controls whether the body gains weight or loses weight are hormones. These hormones also determine where that weight loss comes from, stored body fat or precious muscle. But that is an entirely different subject which I will address later.

There are some noteworthy points to consider regarding calories. Firstly, understand that too much of anything will make you gain weight, even healthy food. As we discussed in a previous article (meal frequency), even lean proteins along with healthy fruits and vegetables in excess will promote weight gain. Secondly, not all calories are the same. They differ in thermic (heat releasing) properties, and have alternate effects on your bodies release of hormones depending on what macro-nutrient the calories came from.



3 comments:

  1. Andrew,
    Do you have contact information if one was interested in your training services? I have been considering getting a trainer and am excited to see that we have a polynesian trainer in Utah! I am in the Salt Lake area however. I have found your blogs to be really helpful as I have done numerous searches on the internet from time to time, looking for diet/training information on polynesian body types. I too have followed the traditional american diet and exercise regime with no success. I have alot of questions and am interested in your thoughts. You also seem to be very knowledgable on the very subject I have been trying to find answers to...the endomorphic polynesian body-type, their diet and exercise. Are you still a trainer? If you have any contact information, please let me know.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I have always wanted to find out if there was something different for Polynesians and weight loss. I am going to try these things and change the food I am eating. Plus I will love telling my husband I knew my body builds muscle faster.

    Thank you
    Shireen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Andrew!

    I'm of Samoan descent and I have happily come across your articles and blog. I have found this info. VERY helpful as I continue on my road of getting fit after having 4 children. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiences! Well done!

    ReplyDelete